Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Clinical trials
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

» Best Inground Pool Installation Services in Frisco TX
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 am by jonemartin

» How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 12007?
close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly EmptyFri Mar 08, 2024 7:13 am by jonemartin

Counter

3 posters

Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly

TommyC

close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly Empty Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly

Post  TommyC Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 am

This is my 1st post to this forum, which I thought included Craftsman.

My opener is model 139.53973SRT.  I was installed over 10 years ago and has worked fine all during the last 7 years we've been here.  Recently, I opened the door using the outside keypad.  It opened just fine.  When I went to close it, it did something I've never seen before:  it began the close but after moving the door about a foot an a half, it quickly stopped and reversed to its full open position.  The light on the unit flashed for a couple seconds.  (The only time I'd seen anything like this is when it's been really humid.  It usually clears itself up in a day or two.)  Lately, it's been hot but with low humidity.

I checked the control settings noted that the down force pot was set on about 1.  I increased this to 3 or so, with the same result.  I also tried to shut off the power in an effort to allow it to "reset its brain", but that, too, didn't seem to help.

Would anyone know what may have caused this?  I'd really like to get it working again.
    Any help is appreciated.
    TommyC

close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly Empty Re: Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly

Post  TommyC Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:25 pm

I'll go ahead and answer my own question. I stumbled onto the answer in DIYforums.net.

While good advice was to clean the electric eye lenses, in my case, one of the eye brackets had - over time - wandered and was misaligned about 5°. I realigned it and cleaned both lenses.  Door opens perfectly now!  Very Happy
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

close - Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly Empty Re: Craftsman 1/2HP opener opens but no longer wants to close properly

Post  GDZone Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 am

Sorry I'm late to the party & missed your question...Laughing

I'm glad you found the answer and posted the solution here for other readers. I'm sure other people have the same problem and this is good advice - anytime the opener refuses to close the door check the photo-eyes for either misalignment or dirt on the lens.
    silcozot
    silcozot

Post  silcozot Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:04 pm

if ever the lights on your opener power head start to flash after revering of the door you have a problem with the safety eyes, misalignment - lose or broken wire

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am