Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Garage door spring repair
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyToday at 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyToday at 6:52 am by techzeel

» Craftsman Opener having issues
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyYesterday at 10:04 am by jonemartin

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

» QR code menu
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 am by jonemartin

» Enhancing the quality, accuracy, and compliance of Wikipedia articles
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am by mikal31

» How can this possibly happen??
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am by Toadman455

» What is garage door repair long island?
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 7:17 am by gutsy

» How to Clean and Maintain Your Mobile Cover for Longevity
raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 am by neerjoshi

Counter

2 posters

Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!!

PHML

raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! Empty Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!!

Post  PHML Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:35 am

Hi there.

I hope you can provide me some clues as to why my Raynor 170-7 won't OPEN or CLOSE.

I can hear the "click" sound when I hit the button on the wall...as well as the remote from my car.

I went to the breaker panel and shut it down...then brought it back up...still just the "click" sound.

Also I notice that the top of the motor...something demagnetized when I was looking for the model #...it released some tension...but still wont OPEN or CLOSE.

This happened once before a couple months ago. Back then, it was back to normal after 15 minutes of just the "click" sound.

Any ideas what could be wrong? What part needs replacing? Is it a DIY thing? Im pretty savy with tools.

Thanks in advance.
    PHML

raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! Empty Re: Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!!

Post  PHML Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:01 am

Update...

so this morning I wake up and the garage door works now...just like normal.

anyone knows what's the problem?
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

raynor - Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!! Empty Re: Problems with my Raynor 170-7....HELP!!!

Post  GDZone Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am

Usually when that unit makes a clicking noise but doesn't respond to the wall button or remote then the unit needs reset by unplugging it, waiting about a minute or so, and plugging it back in. You said that you threw the breaker...are you sure you threw the right breaker?

Many times the R170 (and other R-Series openers) will go into this mode when there's a power surge (like a lightning storm). If your lucky it won't damage the logic board & the unit just needs reset.

Without being able to see your particular unit it's hard to say what's going on but a power surge may be the culprit. If you want to double check you can take the cover off the unit (be sure to unplug it first) and check the logic board for burn marks. Power surges tend to burn some of the circuits on the board. You may have to remove the logic board to fully inspect it.

Hope this helps...........
    PHML

Post  PHML Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Admin wrote:Usually when that unit makes a clicking noise but doesn't respond to the wall button or remote then the unit needs reset by unplugging it, waiting about a minute or so, and plugging it back in. You said that you threw the breaker...are you sure you threw the right breaker?

Many times the R170 (and other R-Series openers) will go into this mode when there's a power surge (like a lightning storm). If your lucky it won't damage the logic board & the unit just needs reset.

Without being able to see your particular unit it's hard to say what's going on but a power surge may be the culprit. If you want to double check you can take the cover off the unit (be sure to unplug it first) and check the logic board for burn marks. Power surges tend to burn some of the circuits on the board. You may have to remove the logic board to fully inspect it.

Hope this helps...........

Hey...thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I did turn off the correct breaker. The entry light (5 min timer) goes off when I hit that breaker....so I know its off.

Just FYI...no storm whatsoever here...Im in Hawaii...and its been nice all week...no rain....no power surges to my knowledge...no other electrical equipment has issues.

Do you have any diagram of this unit? I wouldn't mind taking a crack at looking at the logic board.

Thanks in advance...I love this forum. You're response is faster than my local Raynor service center...haa haa haa!!!

Peter
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Sorry, I don't have a diagram for the R170 opener. They haven't been manufactured in about 14 years or so and most of the info I had on them has gone missing. Removing the logic board isn't difficult though....there's only 2 plugs and a grounding wire that attach to the board. My only advice would be to take your time and unplug the unit before removing the board.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am