Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Linear Door Opener, can't program remote/homelink
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyToday at 9:16 am by gutsy

» myQ garage randomly opens on its own
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyToday at 6:42 am by jonemartin

» Clinical trials
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

Counter

3 posters

Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have?

sangman

garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? Empty Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have?

Post  sangman Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 pm

I bought brand new torsion springs about 2 years ago and they broke again.  So I wanted to know if I can buy bigger beefier springs and would I break anything?  Thanks for any help ahead of time.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? Empty Re: Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have?

Post  GDZone Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 am

You can get springs that will last longer. Torsion springs are based on cycles (when a door opens & closes that's one cycle). Most new doors come with springs that are rated 6k to 10k cycles. If you use your garage door like a front door then they could break in just a few years. If the springs you had balanced your door okay then have the new ones made off of those but tell them that you would like them bumped up to a higher cycle. If the existing springs are made with .235 wire (for example) then you would want new springs made with .250 or .262 wire which would probably give you 15k - 25k cycle springs. The only thing that you have to worry about is making the new springs too long....you'll need more room for the longer (higher cycle) springs. As long as you have the room you'll be good.

Good luck.

sangman

garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? Empty Re: Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have?

Post  sangman Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm

GDZone wrote:You can get springs that will last longer. Torsion springs are based on cycles (when a door opens & closes that's one cycle). Most new doors come with springs that are rated 6k to 10k cycles. If you use your garage door like a front door then they could break in just a few years. If the springs you had balanced your door okay then have the new ones made off of those but tell them that you would like them bumped up to a higher cycle. If the existing springs are made with .235 wire (for example) then you would want new springs made with .250 or .262 wire which would probably give you 15k - 25k cycle springs. The only thing that you have to worry about is making the new springs too long....you'll need more room for the longer (higher cycle) springs. As long as you have the room you'll be good.

Good luck.

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.  And yes we do use our garage excessively and that is noooo good.  Thanks again.
    garage-doors-repair

garage - Can I use bigger torsion springs that I already have? Empty Measure a Broken Garage Door Torsion Spring

Post  garage-doors-repair Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 am

Measure a Broken Garage Door Torsion Springyou need to take a few precise measurements on the broken spring. Grab your tape measure, the broken spring and a calculator, and follow these steps 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am