Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Linear Door Opener, can't program remote/homelink
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyToday at 9:16 am by gutsy

» myQ garage randomly opens on its own
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyToday at 6:42 am by jonemartin

» Clinical trials
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

Counter

3 posters

Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help??

Ed Salter

issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? Empty Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help??

Post  Ed Salter Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi Folks,

I have a Liftmaster LG05011L, hi lift light duty commercial door opener made/installed in 2000 on a seldom used high lift garage door.  Three years ago while lowering it caught a board in the track and sprung the cable.  I called the original company who installed it and their repairman re-wound the cable and repaired it for $125 house call.  Last year the same thing happened again, it forcefully came down deflecting/spitting out the board from the track almost hitting me.  I re-wound the cable myself, and it operated seemingly fine but I could not properly set its limits, so I operated it manually for the last 12 months.

I called the same company as before to come.  Repairman arrived and I explained what happened to door recently and in the past.  I questioned the door sensitivity setting by the last repairman there since it seemed to really forcefully strike the board with such force that it shot it out the side.  He explained that the last technician that came was since fired.  He adjusted the limits (he seemed to struggle with this??) which worked fine for one cycle.  But once the door was tested/reopened from the closed position, the motor sounded fine but for the first 12" or so traveling up the door seemed to be slipping, going up more slowly than normal while rising, and then it regained its normal speed at about 12" high and continued all the way up and stopped.  But when reactivated and coming back down at normal speed it appeared to have lost its down limit and stopped a foot off the ground.  This point was at about the same point its upward motion "slipping" stopped and began its normal speed.

Repairman reset limits several times but same problem continued to happen.  Repairman was baffled, couldn't find any bent/broken sprockets, chain was fine, tension good, and then called his boss, company owner.  Boss said improper sensitivity setting had nothing to door with the door forcefully spitting out the board obstruction, and nothing to do with current malfunctioning problem at hand.  Boss said unit was toast, suggested a new model, Liftmaster #8500W Side Mount Opener for a total cost installed of $917.40.

I emailed Liftmaster tech support and they responded by suggesting a replacement unit of # MJ5011U.  I asked them if a motor replacement would be sufficient.   The responded yes, motor # 041D4509, about $150.  I'm somewhat mechanical and feel I could do the motor install myself.

But before I go through the purchase and installation, I wanted to seek some guidance.  From "qualified experts" I've been given two different replacement unit numbers and then a motor replacement suggestion. ????  It would seem to me to be more of a setting or clutch type problem than a whole motor or unit replacement, but I just don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ed
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? Empty Re: Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help??

Post  GDZone Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:38 am

It doesn't sound like it's a motor issue. I'm not familiar with that model but you should look to see if it has an RPM sensor (some models have one). It's a small sensor inside the opener that spins & calculates the position of the door while opening & closing. If the RPM sensor is not seated properly or if it's malfunctioning it could cause the opener to stop to soon or not move at all.

find me
    find me

issues - Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help?? Empty Re: Liftmaster Lt Duty Commercial opener issues - Conflicting "Expert" advice, please help??

Post  find me Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm