Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Linear Door Opener, can't program remote/homelink
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyToday at 9:16 am by gutsy

» myQ garage randomly opens on its own
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyToday at 6:42 am by jonemartin

» Clinical trials
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
door - Two Part Question about garage door EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

Counter

4 posters

Two Part Question about garage door

ltramont

door - Two Part Question about garage door Empty Two Part Question about garage door

Post  ltramont Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:03 pm

We have a south facing steel garage door--the Chicago winters beat the everloving crap out of it every year and there are always large paint chips that fall off of it. None of our neighbors have this issue. We are sick to death of having it scraped, sanded, primed and painted every year. Any idea what might cause this?

Secondly, since we are sick of this and dislike out boring door, we are looking to perhaps replace it. I'm thinking triple-insulated fiberglass with a new, accompanying garage door opener. What are your thoughts on this and what brands would you recommend? What door will not give us the same problem?
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

door - Two Part Question about garage door Empty Re: Two Part Question about garage door

Post  GDZone Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am

The paint shouldn't chip off the door unless there was a defect from the factory or a pressure washer was used to clean the garage door. You'll have a problem finding a fiberglass door since 99% of the doors on the market are steel. I would recommend a company that stands behind their door warranties such as Raynor Garage Doors

ltramont

door - Two Part Question about garage door Empty Re: Two Part Question about garage door

Post  ltramont Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am

Thank you for the concise and prompt response. Can one get a triple-inulated steel door?
    NT_Hardcore

Post  NT_Hardcore Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:37 pm

ltramont wrote:Thank you for the concise and prompt response. Can one get a triple-inulated steel door?
    what do you mean by "triple insulated"? you can typically get a standard density insulated door ( 1 lb of insulation per cu ft ) or a higher density insulated door ( 3 lb pf insulation per cu ft ) which is what im guessing you are referring to.
    find me
    find me

Post  find me Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Your paints more than likely chipping off because you are scraping & repainting every couple years... most garage doors have the paint powder coated & baked on. A much more efficient process than what you or any painting company will be able to do.

I would recommend a “steel back” or “steel wrapped” flush door from clopay or CHI with the highest R-value. Don’t get too caught up in looking for a crappy brand that might advertise a better insulation value. Just get a steel back, highest R-value, & possibly ask if the door installer can install the door tighter to the opening so it doesn’t rattle around so much in the storms & blizzards.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm