Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyToday at 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyToday at 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyYesterday at 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315.

YoyoGarage

model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. Empty Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315.

Post  YoyoGarage Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Greetings,

Thank you for your time.
    I moved with my family to a new home and the previous owner told us the garage opener was good. Only that the power cable was disconnected from the outlet.
    I'm pretty sure now that's not the case.
    I'm hoping is something I can fix myself because the house is old and is draining us a bit.

I have what I think is a model 41a5021-1m-315.
    From what I've tested myself when I connect power from the wall outlet the outlet shuts itself down. I think something is shorted in the board or the motor. I plug a night light into the same wall outlet and it works if the garage opener is disconnected. I replaced the outlet just in case because the original was a bit cracked.

I took the board out and a friend of mine who works as an electrician told me the board is good. I have no idea how to verify this other than trusting him because he's always fixing electrical stuff for me and others (microwaves, TVs...etc).
    The same friend advised me to replace the capacitor because the farads where above normal.
    Trying to put the new capacitor I got a nice sting I don't know why.
    But foolish me didn't took a picture of how the old one was connected. The only difference between the capacitors is that the old one had two connectors on each side, the new one has four connectors on each side.
    I've read around the internet that it is a single capacitor and that polarity is not important.
    The IR sensors do not power on when connected to the board and the wall outlet. But if I connect power to the sensors directly they turn on the green light.

Is there a way to test the motor?
    I tried connecting power directly to the motor but nothing happened. Just a few sparks... so I know electricity is there...but the motor didn't make a noise or anything.

When I connect the board I don't see any activity, the purple button if pressed for a while doesn't make the green light next to it blink.

I know it's a lot to ask for guidance, I thank you for reading.

I'm trying to share pictures of the garage opener but apparently they are too big.
    They are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/JmyVwUAsKgQGk5iA8
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. Empty Re: Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315.

Post  GDZone Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am

Is that operator mounted to a gate outside? That operator is meant to be installed inside a garage and wasn't made to be outside in the elements. Any bit of water getting inside the powerhead could damage the operator. I've seen logic boards get damaged from a little water dripping on the powerhead and that was on operators mounted inside of garages with leaking roofs.

The operator you have is a Liftmaster brand. You could search their website and find a users manual. They make gate operators that are waterproof. I do understand money is an issue so you may want to look on Ebay for a used gate operator. Your operator may have more than one issue with it.

YoyoGarage

model - Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315. Empty Re: Looking for advice for model 41a5021-1m-315.

Post  YoyoGarage Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am

Thank you very much for your advice.
    Yes the operator is mounted outside. It's covered by a big metal box that was made for it, it's not like something made by the manufacturer. Looks like they purposefully installed an indoor operator outside and made a metal box to cover it.
    I'm going to follow your advice and find an exterior operator.
    I rather open the gate myself than get injured.
    Thank you for your time.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:03 pm