Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Garage door spring repair
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyToday at 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyToday at 6:52 am by techzeel

» Craftsman Opener having issues
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyYesterday at 10:04 am by jonemartin

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

» QR code menu
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:03 am by jonemartin

» Enhancing the quality, accuracy, and compliance of Wikipedia articles
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 9:27 am by mikal31

» How can this possibly happen??
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am by Toadman455

» What is garage door repair long island?
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 7:17 am by gutsy

» How to Clean and Maintain Your Mobile Cover for Longevity
opener - Door opener shuts off at operation EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 7:34 am by neerjoshi

Counter

2 posters

Door opener shuts off at operation

Jayfaas

opener - Door opener shuts off at operation Empty Door opener shuts off at operation

Post  Jayfaas Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 pm

I had to change my springs recently because one of them broke in half, and I got everything switched and the door balanced, and now there are times where the operation is normal, and other times when I hit the button and it comes up like 1-2 feet and shuts off (light and everything).  Sometimes it flickers, sometimes it shuts off completely, but the door stops completely.  If I hit the button again, it goes the opposite direction and then I have to try again.  Its a craftsman 3/4hp.  Any ideas to what it could be.  Whenever the light goes off, if I go up and tap the unit, it comes back on.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

opener - Door opener shuts off at operation Empty Re: Door opener shuts off at operation

Post  GDZone Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 am

It sounds like maybe the drive gear inside the opener is wearing out and may need replaced. The gear can wear out over time and if you didn't notice the broken spring on the door right away the opener would've been doing all the lifting which would cause the gear to wear out faster. Take the cover off the operator and inspect the gear. If it looks worn down and you see white shavings from the gear in the opener cover then the gear should be replaced.

Jayfaas

opener - Door opener shuts off at operation Empty Re: Door opener shuts off at operation

Post  Jayfaas Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 am

Where is the best place to find diagrams and parts?
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Sat May 04, 2019 11:27 am

Is it a chain drive or belt drive opener? What's the model number of the opener and manufacturers date?

Jayfaas

Post  Jayfaas Sat May 04, 2019 3:27 pm

It’s a chain drive. Also I have a question… If it were the drive gear being worn, what would be causing the whole unit to just shut off completely? Model 139.53990D 04/25/05
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Sat May 04, 2019 4:55 pm

My suggestion is just a starting point for diagnosing the issue with your opener. If you take the cover off and see the gear is worn it probably is the problem. A worn gear that isn't turning properly may seize up at times causing some resistance that the opener senses which may cause the opener to stop. You can find an owners manual here

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm