Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Linear Door Opener, can't program remote/homelink
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyToday at 9:16 am by gutsy

» myQ garage randomly opens on its own
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyToday at 6:42 am by jonemartin

» Clinical trials
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

Counter

2 posters

Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way

TeddyNuge

opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way Empty Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way

Post  TeddyNuge Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello,
    I've got a situation where I need to replace the opener motors but there is a large beam (18" x 8" or so) running around 8' from the doors and parallel to them.  Basically the original home owner cut fairly large holes in the beam to allow the openers to go through.  So I'm looking for recommendations on what kind of openers to get.  I'm thinking that a screw drive option is the best way to go to fit through the holes in the beam.  One of the existing openers is a really old Genie 450 model (Screw drive).  Also, what is the best opener to get when the carriage movement could be limited by having to partially go through the holes in the beam?

Thanks for any help / advice!
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way Empty Re: Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way

Post  GDZone Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Screw drive openers generally take more headroom than a standard belt or chain opener. I would suggest a Marantec garage door opener. The rails only take about an 1" of room and the trolley moves along inside the rail. Also the powerhead on the newer Synergy series of operators can be mounted normally or sideways if backroom is an issue.

TeddyNuge

opener - Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way Empty Re: Replacement opener motors with large beam in the way

Post  TeddyNuge Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Brian.  Do you know how wide/high the tracks are for the Marantec openers?  Basically they need to fit through the holes in these beams and the holes are around 4" in diameter.  Thanks.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:11 am

Offhand I don't but the trolley is around 2-1/2" wide so the rail is probably around 3" wide. You could contact Marantec or your local Marantec dealer and they should be able to get you the exact measurements.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm