Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» myQ garage randomly opens on its own
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyToday at 6:42 am by jonemartin

» Clinical trials
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 am by besnos

» Replacing faulty Logic Board
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:25 am by cr-garagedoor

» liftmaster 8500 Gors down to ground stops and goes up
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Door wont close with remote
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 am by cr-garagedoor

» open closed then nothing
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyFri Mar 22, 2024 5:35 am by cr-garagedoor

» Professional Tow Dolly Services in Garden City NY
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am by johannimartin

» How To Find All Upcoming Birthdays on Facebook
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:47 am by johannimartin

» Best Inground Pool Installation Services in Frisco TX
Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop EmptyMon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 am by jonemartin

Counter

3 posters

Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop

Dennis Keane

Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop Empty Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop

Post  Dennis Keane Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am

First - this is my first time dealing with a garage door replacement (two actually).  So thanks for the patience up front.

I have a two car garage with a basketball hoop in between the two doors (each garage door is about 9' x 7').  I need to replace the doors which are 30 years old.  The first local business I went to said I had to use either vinyl or fiberglass with the hoop there, but I shouldn't use steel, as it will dent - that I would need to move the hoop.  They are a C.H.I. dealer.  The fiberglass doors were $6,000 installed (for 2).

As a quick check I had Overhead Door come out and was told that their steel doors would not dent, and that it would be perfectly acceptable.  I am getting a quote for both steel and vinyl from Overhead door (fully installed), but don't have the numbers yet. 

Would love to hear everyone's opinions on materials vs denting from the basketball hitting them on occasion.  Thank you.

Dennis KeaneGarage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop Hoop_v10
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop Empty Re: Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop

Post  GDZone Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 am

If the basketball is just bouncing off of the doors and they are steel two sided doors with insulation in between the steel (also known as a sandwich style door) then the sections shouldn't dent. If they are a one sided steel door (known as a pan style door) then they probably would dent since they're not as rigid. A ball thrown at the sections may dent the door but a ball just bouncing off probably wouldn't do anything.

Vinyl doors make up a small portion of the garage door market (maybe 5%). There have been a number of different vinyl doors that have come and gone over the years. Most of them don't sell well because they are difficult to insulate properly, are expensive, are susceptible to heat and cold & colors can fade over time.

I didn't know that CHI had a fiberglass door so I just took a quick look at it. I'd be curious as to how long it's been on the market. If it's been around a couple of years I would ask the dealer if there were any customers they had where you could look at their doors to see how they've held up. Took a quick peek at the warranty for their fiberglass doors and this caught my eye under the exclusions from the limited warranty: Minor expansion and contraction gaps in fiberglass are not covered. That doesn't sound good. It some climates that may not be a problem but if you live where there are 4 seasons then this could become an issue.

It's just my opinion but I would say a good two sided steel insulated door from Overhead door would be fine (unless you have kids that play hockey then that's another story) Very Happy

Dennis Keane

Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop Empty Re: Garage Door Materials vs Basketball Hoop

Post  Dennis Keane Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Thank you for the input.  The steel doors from Overhead and CHI seem sturdy enough and at less than half the price as fiberglass, I could buy a second set and still be ahead.  Thanks again.
    find me
    find me

Post  find me Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Forget the fiberglass/vinyl doors, that company is trying to take you for a run. Pick a different company, & have an insulated steel back “steel wrapped” door installed. Unlikely you will have issues with dents, also one of the best & most common doors. A couple steel back doors with windows should run you in the ballpark of $1,700-$2,200 depending on the market in your area.
    Dennis Keane

Post  Dennis Keane Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:09 am

find me wrote:Forget the fiberglass/vinyl doors, that company is trying to take you for a run. Pick a different company, & have an insulated steel back “steel wrapped” door installed. Unlikely you will have issues with dents, also one of the best & most common doors. A couple steel back doors with windows should run you in the ballpark of $1,700-$2,200 depending on the market in your area.

Thanks for the heads up - appreciated.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am