Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Ramset 100 Gate Opener Alignment
Yesterday at 3:51 pm by Eddib

» reversing torsion spring
Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 am by queensgarage

» Extension kit required?
Tue May 23, 2017 3:50 am by queensgarage

» Do I need to have the windows at the top of the door?
Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 am by njoverheadgaragedoors

» Remote for receiver for Raynor Model 130-7
Tue May 23, 2017 3:29 am by jayzenony

» Best automatic door opener.
Tue May 23, 2017 3:15 am by garagedoorsrepair

» Problem programming remote
Tue May 23, 2017 3:13 am by garagedoorsrepair

» universal remote programing
Tue May 23, 2017 2:57 am by brooklynnygarage

» Looking for compatible remote for 150-7
Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am by longislandgarage

Buy Marantec Remotes

Buy Raynor Remotes

Buy Raynor Remotes

Counter

Did they give me the right spring?

sfav8r

Did they give me the right spring?

Post  sfav8r on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello,

I just had a repair done on my garage door because the spring broke. The spring that was removed had gold paint in the end. The receipt they gave me says "replaced gold spring on roller door". However, the spring they installed is painted red, not gold. Also, when he went to his truck to get the spring, the spring he came back with was pretty old and rusty looking...not real rusty, it just didn't look new. I asked about that and he said it was just in the truck for a bit and that he would spray oil on the spring an it would be fine. After he left, I noticed the red paint instead of gold and I looked closer at the spring and it doesn't seem new to me. Is there a way I can tell? After paying $450 to change a spring, I'd like to know I at least got the correct spring and that is was new. Also, there are two bolts where the left and right spring meet. I noticed one of the bolts is different now and doesn't look correct. I think he may have dropped the original bold and replaced it with one that is really skinny with a big washer on it.
    GDZone
    Admin

Re: Did they give me the right spring?

Post  GDZone on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am

I'm assuming you are talking about torsion springs? (the kind of springs that are on a bar above the door and get wound up). Torsion springs don't have universal color codes like extension springs do so I wouldn't worry about that (the color usually signifies the right and left spring). I also wouldn't worry about a little rust on the spring - it doesn't take long for spring wire to get a little rusty if it's stored in damp environment like a truck - just make sure you lube it real well once a year.

If you want to know if the spring is correct for your door then you should disconnect the door from the opener (if you have one) and lift the door 1/2 way...if the door stays in the half open position without wanting to slam back to the floor or fly open then it is most likely the correct spring.

Hope this helps. Happy holidays! santa

sfav8r

Post  sfav8r on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Admin wrote:I'm assuming you are talking about torsion springs? (the kind of springs that are on a bar above the door and get wound up). Torsion springs don't have universal color codes like extension springs do so I wouldn't worry about that (the color usually signifies the right and left spring). I also wouldn't worry about a little rust on the spring - it doesn't take long for spring wire to get a little rusty if it's stored in damp environment like a truck - just make sure you lube it real well once a year.

If you want to know if the spring is correct for your door then you should disconnect the door from the opener (if you have one) and lift the door 1/2 way...if the door stays in the half open position without wanting to slam back to the floor or fly open then it is most likely the correct spring.

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the spring color represented the diameter of the spring wire. or the "strength" of the spring, so thanks for educating me. The door works fine with the opener and I remember him operating the door manually before he hooked up the opener, so I'm just going to go worry about things I know more about. ;-) Thanks, and Happy New Year
    tmordoor1

Post  tmordoor1 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm

sfav8r wrote:
    Admin wrote:I'm assuming you are talking about torsion springs? (the kind of springs that are on a bar above the door and get wound up). Torsion springs don't have universal color codes like extension springs do so I wouldn't worry about that (the color usually signifies the right and left spring). I also wouldn't worry about a little rust on the spring - it doesn't take long for spring wire to get a little rusty if it's stored in damp environment like a truck - just make sure you lube it real well once a year.

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that the spring color represented the diameter of the spring wire. or the "strength" of the spring, so thanks for educating me. The door works fine with the opener and I remember him operating the door manually before he hooked up the opener, so I'm just going to go worry about things I know more about. ;-) Thanks, and Happy New Year

I believe you were talking about an extension springs. They are color coded as said above by the administrator. Are the springs directly above the door (torsion) or off to each side (e3tension)directly above the tracks? In any event they should have replaced both......not just one!!!

michaelwright

Post  michaelwright on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:03 am

In your situation, it would be best if you consider taking help of professional garage door repairmen. A professional can easily inform you that whether you have bought the right door spring or not as well as can easily repair your garage door too.

Post  tmordoor1 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Why do people come on here just to say to "call a professional?"
    longislandgarage

Post  longislandgarage on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:47 am

You can consult Professional technician who assure you bought right spring or not.You can contact also

https://www.longislandgaragedoorservice.com/

jayzenony

Post  jayzenony on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am

Thank You for your recommendation.
    queensgarage

Post  queensgarage on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:58 am

garage door zone recommend best product, but you should kneed a better expert to install properly. ggarage door company

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 28, 2017 3:48 am