Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyToday at 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyToday at 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyYesterday at 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate

mitchd123

door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate Empty Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate

Post  mitchd123 Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 am

Genie Excelerator about 5 years old: 

The temperature here in the Northeast dropped below 5 degrees F after a rain storm,  and my mom's garage door froze to the ground.  She tried to open it a few times.   I pulled the emergency release and was able to gradually break the door free from the ground.  I reattached the emergency release, but now the door will not operate.

Steps I've tried:

1) To be sure the wall switch had not failed, I tried the remote in her car...no movement or noise at all. 

2) Unplugged the unit/motor for 30+ seconds.   When I plug the unit back in the garage light comes on.  When I press the wall switch to lift the door, the garage light goes off, and there's no movement whatsoever on the motor.   There is power to the outlet and no house circuits were tripped.

3) The beam seems to be fine.  Without the beam broken, I see a solid green on one side, and a solid red on the other.   When I break the beam I get a flashing red light.

4) Looking way up inside the motor unit, there's a round blinking green light.  It doesn't seem to be blinking rapidly, nor is it blinking a number sequence. 

5) I removed the pin on the door lifter arm to be sure there was no strain on the motor.   I moved the emergency release back and forward to make sure it was lined up correctly. 

6) Door springs are fine. 

I researched this on the internet, but I've been unable to find an answer.   Any help would be greatly appreciated on what to check.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate Empty Re: Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate

Post  GDZone Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:27 am

Check the capacitor. It may have blown & need replaced.

mitchd123

door - Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate Empty Re: Door froze to the ground, now it won't operate

Post  mitchd123 Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. 

1) I opened the unit, and saw the 10A fuse was blown.   I replaced the fuse, and as soon as power was applied, the door went racing up. Half way up I unplugged and replugged, again it continued up.  The door traveled all the way to the top and it blew the unit's 10A fuse.  I unplugged the unit, replaced the fuse again with the door all the way up.   As soon as I applied power, the fuse blew.  

2) I'm assuming this is a control panel issue.  There are two control panels, 36599A 09-30-08 & 36427A Rev P03 4-25-08   The 36427A is the board with the fuse on it.    A quick scan online retailers,  and no exact matches.  Fair to assume it's a board issue?   Suggestions?
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:31 am

It's possible it's a board issue. Many times with these types of problems it comes down to a process of elimination.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:41 pm