Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyToday at 4:13 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyYesterday at 1:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 1:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 8:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 2:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am by techzeel

» Craftsman Opener having issues
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 7:04 am by jonemartin

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 2:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener?

bilwil

opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? Empty Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener?

Post  bilwil Sun May 05, 2019 1:09 pm

I just found this forum and am hoping someone can answer my question on an install of a Liftmaster 8500W opener.

My garage door has a beam over the opening and this limits the height of the springs and shaft.  I have a 4 post lift and being able to install the side-mount opener and run the tracks right up against the ceiling will be very helpful.  

In the first image you can see the current track and the beam over the garage door opening.  This is where I would mount the side mount opener.  The second image shows my proposed new path for the track.  

My question is, will there be any problem with the garage door track angling back 45 degrees at the height of the current 90 degree bend.  Then extending up another 2 feet and angling back another 45 degrees to run back along the ceiling?  I think this will work but want to make sure there isn't anything I am unaware of with running the track higher than the actual side-mount opener.

I look forward to any insight or advice you can offer.

Thanks!

Bill

opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? Propos11
    opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? Propos10
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? Empty Re: Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener?

Post  GDZone Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Everything changes when you start doing lift clearance track. Not only will the track change but the door spring, cables, and cable drums also change. From the markings on your picture the top section would sit in the curved part of the horizontal track & wouldn't close against the header.

Garage door manufacturers have engineers to figure out situations like this and I would suggest that you contact them and see if they can figure something out. From looking at the pics I would say that the only way it could be done is if you went with a shorter garage door and lowered the header. You may be able to do lift clearance track then but the door would have to be engineered for it.

bilwil

opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? Empty Re: Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener?

Post  bilwil Sun May 05, 2019 2:02 pm

GDZone wrote:Unfortunately it's not that easy. Everything changes when you start doing lift clearance track. Not only will the track change but the door spring, cables, and cable drums also change. From the markings on your picture the top section would sit in the curved part of the horizontal track & wouldn't close against the header.

Garage door manufacturers have engineers to figure out situations like this and I would suggest that you contact them and see if they can figure something out. From looking at the pics I would say that the only way it could be done is if you went with a shorter garage door and lowered the header. You may be able to do lift clearance track then but the door would have to be engineered for it.

Thank you for the quick reply.  Unfortunately making the door shorter is not an option as I have an HOA to deal with and am required to maintain my 8' tall door.

I am not against changing tracks, springs, drums, etc if it is possible to accomplish this.  Is there a specific garage door company you would recommend I contact to retain their engineers on this project?

Thanks!

Bill
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Sun May 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Raynor Garage Doors are quality doors and have good engineers. You can use their website here to contact them or find a local Raynor dealer. Good luck.

bilwil

Post  bilwil Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm

I just found an online image of exactly the track arrangement I want to do.   Does seeing this clarify anything and should i consider this feasible?

opener - Can my tracks run higher than my Liftmaster Jack Shaft opener? 59334823_2377348895616936_7695548304473456640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_eui2=AeHrc8sOj-IHb3LEbI5CtF0yWEqLH3WOsrpHjChXD5mmN1y_USTT5p_6QJ413pczQ3vhuTKMGuJ31Msgqy0s8pRWgZ7DynIlH223JCdHT1y7cQ&_nc_ht=scontent.flas1-2
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Than looks like it may work but it will depend on the headroom in the garage & if the beam would interfere. I suggest you show that pic to your local dealer and have them take the proper measurements. They can then have Raynor engineers figure it out with whatever door model you're interested in.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:30 am