Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyYesterday at 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

» How to Open Garage Door Manually from Inside and Outside
Top track wheel pops out when door closes EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 5:45 am by melanie

Counter

3 posters

Top track wheel pops out when door closes

Valhalla

Top track wheel pops out when door closes Empty Top track wheel pops out when door closes

Post  Valhalla Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi,

I have a pretty old garage door system. I added the opener using the existing track door system. Every once in a while the wheel / roller that rides in the upper track pops out of the track. I can always get it back into the track. Recently this same wheel is popping out at the end of the cycle when the door is closing. The top track and wheel I believe is just for the top part of the garage door to close. It pops out of the track as it comes to the curved part of the track as it curves down to move the top part of the door closed. It is usually pretty easy to put it back in the track. I have to move the top part of the garage door and maneuver it back into the track. It might work several more times but then decide to pop out and cause the door to jam usually when I'm in a hurry to go somewhere...  

As the door opens I can see the end of the wheel's axle moving towards the track and back flush with the end of the frame in which it turns. When the door is opening, the axle starts to move in the direction away from the track and sticking out of the end of the frame in which it turns. When the track starts to curve downward, the wheel will pop out of the track. This is only happening with one track on one side. 

The track or door has never been hit or damaged. It seems to move fairly smoothly when opening and closing by hand. Although if opening manually there is more chance for the wheel to pop out. When the opener is pulling from the top center of the door it works better. Something has happened to affect the operation now.

I can take a video and / or pictures if it will help. Does this ring any bells as a common problem? Is this just an adjustment?

Thanks!

VH
    Kenneth07ex

Top track wheel pops out when door closes Empty Re: Top track wheel pops out when door closes

Post  Kenneth07ex Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Is the track perfectly straight? From your description, it sounds like the track is crooked, at that curve. Although it seems unlikely that it'd just come loose by itself. What do the other wheels do when they pass that spot? Check the mounting at the wall, for movement. Maybe the wood? Is compromised where it's mounted to the wall, in the area where you notice the axle walking in/out especially. Watch the door for horizontal/vertical stability as it goes up, or down. Should stay steady, smooth, and level. No shifting side, to
    side. Watch/Check the springs, drums, everything else visually, both with the door fixed, open, closed, and in motion. Check for a gap/daylight coming through one side of the bottom of the closed door. If you can find ANYTHING else that isn't quite right, that'd help diagnose this issue.
    find me
    find me

Top track wheel pops out when door closes Empty Re: Top track wheel pops out when door closes

Post  find me Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:53 am

Just replace the top track on that side, quick & easy fix. Take a picture of the curve in the track. It will either be a 12” or 15” radius, I can tell you from the picture. Then once you know if it is a 12” or 15” radius, go to a local garage door company and ask them if they have a spare “12 inch radius, top track” they can sell you. Reasonable price should be $15-50, I’d give you an old one for free honestly. Most shops should have extra track laying around. Or just buy both left & right tops tracks & replace them both. It is a quick swap. Pictures would be nice to give you more precise info tho.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:37 am