Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» How to fix common issues with changing views on Outlook?
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyToday at 5:59 am by emailbuzz

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyYesterday at 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Liftmaster making loud BANG noise EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

Counter

2 posters

Liftmaster making loud BANG noise

mattg

Liftmaster making loud BANG noise Empty Liftmaster making loud BANG noise

Post  mattg Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm

My Liftmaster is about 3 years old. For the first few years, every now and then, it would make a loud bang/crack noise when starting to close the door. Other than that, it operates fine.

But now it's doing it EVERY time it starts to close the door. Also, every few weeks, I need to reset the travel limits as they're off by an inch. I'm guessing this is related. Is something wrong with the motor? Are gears slipping?

Is this an easy fix for a somewhat-capable person? Or do I need to call a repair company?

Here's a video link with sound. In person, it sounds way louder and scarier:
    https://imgur.com/a/2m3fglW
    find me
    find me

Liftmaster making loud BANG noise Empty Re: Liftmaster making loud BANG noise

Post  find me Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:44 am

Gear & sprocket assembly could be going out. Possibly a bad mechanical limit switch. Here are two links to those parts. However, take the cover off the back of your powerhead (3 or 4 philips screws) & take a picture with light of what it looks like in there, videos are even better.

Gear & sprocket assembly:
    https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-Chamberlain-Sears-Craftsman-41a4885-2/dp/B0722NPNJT/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=liftmaster+gear+and+sprocket+kit&qid=1602920366&sprefix=liftmaster+gear+and+sp&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A36RV344P5JWP3&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUlVGNks5T1g0TDYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzI1OTUxMThCSUlKWjdHUTFRWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDY0NTI4MkpWMFpZMFpLWjMyQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Mechanical limit switch:
    https://www.amazon.com/LIFTMASTER-Garage-Openers-41D3452-Assembly/dp/B000FPVOVY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=liftmaster+limit+switch&qid=1602920387&sr=8-1

Because it’s bouncing around & making so much noise. It is probably your gear & sprocket. Super easy fix btw. (Take off bottom little gear, unscrew the 3 5/16” screws you see in your video around the gear the belt rides on, & you pull that whole assembly out of the top of your powerhead.) 3 screws & a gear clip to remove it all & replace.

mattg likes this post

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 pm