Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» How to fix common issues with changing views on Outlook?
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyToday at 5:59 am by emailbuzz

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyYesterday at 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

Counter

Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door

lisach

Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door Empty Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door

Post  lisach Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:49 pm

Need help with vintage/antique (depending on your age lol) J G Wilson Door from the 1930's - 1950's. The door is a solid hardwood sectional vertical lift to horizontal rails door. It uses a torsion bar and or springs that must be inside the 4" solid tube. On the left side is a single disc with a cross pattern that seems to act as a locking mechanism with a an "L" shaped pin. Towards the right side, is a bolt that goes through the whole tube.

Some years ago the brackets rusted out, the cables broke, and someone removed the pin from the single disc. We replaced the bottom brackets and installed the cables. I'm trying to figure out how to torque the bar and how many turns are necessary in order to lift the door. The springs may be broken but I don't think so. In our attempts to understand it, we inserted the pin in the side disc, locking it down and using the 4 winding holes on the left side, we were able to wind it about 20 quarter turns, attached the cables and the door lifted slightly about 3 inches. So we then reversed the process, and with the pin out of the side disc. The side disc moves freely along with the whole tube and everything inside.

We have another smaller door exactly the same that is completely functional. As the door moves up and down the side disc. which has the pin in place does not move.

I have been unable to locate any kind of information on this system, images, nor even a mention anywhere of this.

I've attached photos in hopes that someone could help with more information. It seems I could only attach 2 but I have plenty more.

Thanks in advance.
    Attachments
    Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door AttachmentLife Side View.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (62 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
    Need help with vintage/antique J G Wilson Door AttachmentLeft End View.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (44 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:44 pm