Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» How to fix common issues with changing views on Outlook?
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyToday at 5:59 am by emailbuzz

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyYesterday at 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

Counter

2 posters

Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening

Kwhite8182

Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening Empty Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening

Post  Kwhite8182 Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello,

I constantly have to replace the weatherstripping along the top of my arched garage door frame. The bottom seal clips the top of the weatherstripping and eventually rips the top portion. Here's a photo with new weatherstripping but I've circled the area where it will rip and you can see how the seal is already touching the weatherstripping. Is this fixable? The other side of the door is fine. I suspect maybe the vertical door frames are not exactly parallel? It appears that both vertical rails are exactly the same distance from the frame. Any ideas on what can be done?

Kevin

Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening Img_2010
    delweis

Bottom seal "clipping" weatherstripping at top corner when opening Empty Vinyl Garage Door Weatherstrip

Post  delweis Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:24 am

I would say that your problem is that you are placing the weatherstrip too tight to the door. I always install weatherstripping with the door fully closed and do the top first and then the sides.

The trick is to use a spacer made out of 1/4in plywood or similar to set the weatherstrip, so that only the flexible vinyl seal and not the whole weatherstrip makes contact with the door.  Make sure the piece is large enough to move along as you install the weatherstrip. I typically use a piece 6 in wide by 12 to 16 in long so that two to three screw locations are along its length. I've been using this method for 30 years.

Good Luck

Del's Carpentry, LLC
    LiftMaster Dealer #119876

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:34 am