Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Unlocking Essay Writing Potential with Professional Services
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyToday at 3:19 pm by AinsleePickle

» Changing Batteries in Keypad
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyToday at 8:51 am by jonemartin

» How to fix common issues with changing views on Outlook?
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyYesterday at 5:59 am by emailbuzz

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyMon May 06, 2024 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
How to Identify Garage Door? EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

Counter

+5
jayzenony
jstone97
peterdrokin
GDZone
Photon
9 posters

How to Identify Garage Door?

Photon

How to Identify Garage Door? Empty How to Identify Garage Door?

Post  Photon Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:15 am

Hello all,

I need some help identifying the manufacturer and model of my existing garage doors.  Two have rotten bottom panels that I would like to replace.  Local garage door companies want me to buy 3 new doors. I have looked high and low but can not find a name or number stamped into the wood.

Also, I have an extra top panel that I would like to convert to a bottom panel.  The problem is the tongue on the door are on opposite side.  It would require me flipping the interior to exterior.  I don't know if wooden garage doors differ from their exterior side to their interior?  Is it simply paint or is there more to it?

I can't post links to the pics as I am a newbie and can't post pics directly on this site... Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Photon
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

How to Identify Garage Door? Empty Re: How to Identify Garage Door?

Post  GDZone Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I see that no one has offered you any advice so I'll give you my 2 cents.  Very Happy 

Trying to repair old wood doors (especially replacing sections) is not a easy task nor is it inexpensive. The problem that you will most likely run into is the new section fitting up properly with the old sections. The old wood doors tend to take on weight (from retaining moisture and paint) and will sag & warp over time. The new section on the other hand will be square and not fit together very well with the older sections. This can make it very difficult and time consuming to get the door to work properly.

As far as finding a manufacturer for replacement sections - I believe you will find that there aren't many national manufacturers of wood doors - they tend to be more local. A lot of times these local wood door manufacturers can make any style, thickness, etc. of door section you need. This could easily cost a few hundred dollars though.

These are probably just a few of the reasons why door companies are recommending that you replace the doors. In the long run it will be more cost effective and less maintenance to go with new steel garage doors. Even if you replaced just one door a year it will probably be more beneficial.

Good luck with whatever your decision is. Smile
    peterdrokin

How to Identify Garage Door? Empty General rule for situations like yours

Post  peterdrokin Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Photon wrote:Hello all,

I need some help identifying the manufacturer and model of my existing garage doors.  Two have rotten bottom panels that I would like to replace.  Local garage door companies want me to buy 3 new doors.  I have looked high and low but can not find a name or number stamped into the wood.

Also, I have an extra top panel that I would like to convert to a bottom panel.  The problem is the tongue on the door are on opposite side.  It would require me flipping the interior to exterior.  I don't know if wooden garage doors differ from their exterior side to their interior?  Is it simply paint or is there more to it?

I can't post links to the pics as I am a newbie and can't post pics directly on this site...  Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Photon
    I use general rule for situations like yours
    In my experience, I can do whatever customer wants me to do. He has the money and he makes the decision how to spend them.  
    But, often its more expensive then replace the whole door
    I am doing like that
    if the door older then 7 years, I highly recommend to replace the whole door

reasons?
    companies change the product line every 5-7 years. So, even you get the same model numbers, product itself is different, it's just a little bit, but different.
    jstone97
    jstone97

Post  jstone97 Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:19 am

Usually you can see the model of your garage door opener at the back in case you can't able to determine it. Post the image of your garage door opener and i will help to determine it.
    jayzenony

Post  jayzenony Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:35 am

jstone97 wrote:Usually you can see the model of your garage door opener at the back in case you can't able to determine it. Post the image of your garage door opener and i will help to determine it.
    Thank for your valuable comments, this is more valuable.
    brooklynnygarage
    brooklynnygarage

How to Identify Garage Door? Empty model number of garage door

Post  brooklynnygarage Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:23 am

some time it is impossible to determine the model number of your garage door.you search any sticker,stamps or markings on the inside of the garage door.These stickers, stamps or markings can identify the maker and model number for your garage door.
    BillyJones

How to Identify Garage Door? Empty How to Identify Garage Door?

Post  BillyJones Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:47 am

I think you side corner there you will look a comprehensive info label with the kind and model figures.
    JSGarageDoor
    JSGarageDoor

Post  JSGarageDoor Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:45 am

Just my thoughts-
    It's time for a door(s), I haven't had much luck tracking down replacement pannels on old wood doors.  Even if you do the cost to have a pro install wouldn't be worth it.

Get some quotes on a new door Smile
    JosephClements
    JosephClements

Post  JosephClements Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 am

GDZone wrote:I see that no one has offered you any advice so I'll give you my 2 cents.  Very Happy 

Trying to repair old wood doors (especially replacing sections) is not a easy task nor is it inexpensive. The problem that you will most likely run into is the new section fitting up properly with the old sections. The old wood doors tend to take on weight (from retaining moisture and paint) and will sag & warp over time. The new section on the other hand will be square and not fit together very well with the older sections. This can make it very difficult and time consuming to get the door to work properly.

As far as finding a manufacturer for replacement sections - I believe you will find that there aren't many national manufacturers of wood doors - they tend to be more local. A lot of times these local wood door manufacturers can make any style, thickness, etc. of door section you need. This could easily cost a few hundred dollars though.

These are probably just a few of the reasons why door companies are recommending that you replace the doors. In the long run it will be more cost effective and less maintenance to go with new steel garage doors. Even if you replaced just one door a year it will probably be more beneficial.

Good luck with whatever your decision is. Smile

Thanks, dude highly appreciated man! your techniques are just awesome. Thanks for sorting out! cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:40 pm