Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Clinical Trials Poland
lift - High lift conversion EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
lift - High lift conversion EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
lift - High lift conversion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
lift - High lift conversion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
lift - High lift conversion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
lift - High lift conversion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

» How to Open Garage Door Manually from Inside and Outside
lift - High lift conversion EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 5:45 am by melanie

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
lift - High lift conversion EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
lift - High lift conversion EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

Counter

2 posters

High lift conversion

Keith True

lift - High lift conversion Empty High lift conversion

Post  Keith True Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:37 pm

I am replacing my old 9X9 door with a more modern one.My old wooden door is just a little heavy,it even has an entry door built into it.I have a new 9X9 steel insulated door I would like to use.I have always had to be careful because when the door is up I have to watch while putting a car on my lift.If I can raise this door vertically for about three feet before I hit the track radius I would feel much better.I only open it a couple times a week,but as I'm getting older I have come close to forgetting to watch a couple of times.I can handle any fabrication I might need,but I need to find what I need to do about the spring(s),and drums.The new door has a single spring,will I need to go to two?Will I need cone,or semi cone drums?Thanks.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

lift - High lift conversion Empty Re: High lift conversion

Post  GDZone Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Yes the spring will change since it will be lifting the door further. You'll also need longer vertical tracks and possibly cables. The cable drums may change depending on the ones you have. I suggest that you contact your local garage door company for the new spring size. Most companies will have a program that will be able to compute what springs should be on the door if you give them the door size, door weight and cable length. Or you could contact the manufacturer with the door model you have and what you plan on doing & they could tell you exactly what you need.

Keith True

lift - High lift conversion Empty RE,high lift conversion

Post  Keith True Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks,The tracks,torsion bar mounts,and cables are no problem.What I need to find out is do I need to go to a cone or semi-cone drum to make a 9X9 foot door lift three feet before it goes back.It is a very light door,the panels and hardware weigh 93 pounds.With that kind of weight I'm not sure if I will have to go to two springs or not.I bought this door from a fellow that went out of business years ago.He used to assemble his doors from components.I think I paid $12.for it at his auction,it was complete,still boxed and banded.The door guys I know around here now are installers.They do no engineering,they take your specs,send them in,and the door is sent to them.I have a new Manaris jackshaft opener,it is kind of overkill but it is something I have.It is the same one I have on a 12X14 commercial door.
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Post  GDZone Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:58 am

Yes there are special cable drums for hi-lift doors. The drums have a few grooves that step down then the grooves go straight across like a standard lift drum. Cable drums that look like a "cone" are vertical lift drums where the door would go straight up the wall (9' in your case).

I don't have the software to compute the spring for you so I would suggest searching online for someone that may sell torsion springs that may be able to do a conversion for you. The door could use two springs or one...it will depend on the size of the spring wire, the length of the spring(s) and how many cycles you want. Standard is 10,000 cycles. If you go with a 15,000 or 20,000 cycle spring would use a larger wire size and the length of the spring would be longer. It all depends.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:31 am