Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Help leveling garage door
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 4:10 am by remsibradpitt

» What goes into the cost of a commercial garage door?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 4:08 am by remsibradpitt

» Why Do You Need A Garage Door Keypad?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:56 am by remsibradpitt

» Garage Door Repair
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:54 am by remsibradpitt

» Garage Door Repair Glendale
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:52 am by remsibradpitt

» What Kind Of Door Is Right For My Home—Wood, Fiberglass, Steel, Or Other?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:49 am by remsibradpitt

» Which is the strongest type of garage door?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:48 am by remsibradpitt

» What are residential garage doors?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:45 am by remsibradpitt

» Which is the strongest type of garage door?
Garage Door Replacement Concerns EmptyToday at 3:43 am by remsibradpitt

Counter

2 posters

Garage Door Replacement Concerns

ddach

Garage Door Replacement Concerns Empty Garage Door Replacement Concerns

Post  ddach Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello,

Just a little background: I'm pretty handy and have renovated two of our prior homes, the last one very extensively.  I've done a lot of rewiring, wired a new 3-bedroom addition, installed roofing, vinyl siding, redesigned and installed hot a zoned hot water heating system, hung and finished drywall, and installed a replacement garge door, etc etc.  I say all this not to brag, but just to drive the point home that I can handle replacing our current garage door.  Also, I am very aware that torsion springs can be very dangerous, which is why I'm seeking advice before I proceed with this project...

I am replacing our current 16' single layer garage door with a new double layer door.  

The current door has one 33" torsion spring.

The new door has two 22" torsion springs and an S3 Winder.

My concern is regarding the existing spring pad.  The installation instructions say that the spring pad should be attached with 5/16" x 4" lag bolts.  My current spring pad is attached with what appear to be 16d nails.  See pic:

Can't figure out how to get a pic to display here, the "host" and "insert" don't seem to work.  I've attached a pic to the post, and a larger version can be viewed here on Google Drive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSI69gLdpJkRWIk1Cb5h-34dcefu44mc/view?usp=sharing

I really do not want to replace that spring pad, as I see that leading to drywall patching, etc.  BUT, I also don't want myself or anyone else injured due to an inadequately attached spring pad either.

Our house was built around 2003.  Were the codes different back then?  Would I be okay to do the install without any changes to the spring pad?

Thanks for your help!
    Attachments
    Garage Door Replacement Concerns Attachmentspring-pad-sq.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (40 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

Garage Door Replacement Concerns Empty Re: Garage Door Replacement Concerns

Post  GDZone Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

That's a larger than normal spring pad and I don't think that replacing it would be necessary. You may want to throw a couple of new screws into it just to make sure it's secure. Nails won't hold the spring pad in place as well as lags would but if the nails are secure in the wood behind the drywall it should be fine.

I have seen spring pads that were secured with nails (and lags) that have pulled out of the wall because the fasteners missed the mark & weren't fastened to anything but drywall. It's always best to use lags but nails should work fine as long as it's secure.

ddach

Post  ddach Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 pm

GDZone wrote:That's a larger than normal spring pad and I don't think that replacing it would be necessary. You may want to throw a couple of new screws into it just to make sure it's secure. Nails won't hold the spring pad in place as well as lags would but if the nails are secure in the wood behind the drywall it should be fine.

I have seen spring pads that were secured with nails (and lags) that have pulled out of the wall because the fasteners missed the mark & weren't fastened to anything but drywall. It's always best to use lags but nails should work fine as long as it's secure.
    Thanks for your reply, Brian.

I'll definitely take a look at adding a couple of lags.  There is no drywall between the spring pad and the framing, looks like it was in place before the drywall, then the drywall was installed.

It's been there as old as the house is (15+ years), and hasn't come loose yet, but with the new door I'm installing using two (vs one) torsion springs, I just want to be extra sure that I'm doing it right.

Thanks again!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:45 am