Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyYesterday at 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyYesterday at 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
garage - Old garage door opener question EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Old garage door opener question

thom0573

garage - Old garage door opener question Empty Old garage door opener question

Post  thom0573 Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Hi.  New to the Forum, and hoping someone more expert than I can help.  

Because of COVID-19, I finally, after 22 or so years since bringing it home, got the Stanley WH455 QuietGlide garage door opener I bought at Home Depot out of the box and installed it.  I know.  I know.

Install went great, safety sensor works and light works, but when I got to the last page of instructions on how to "learn" up position and down position, the unit was unresponsive.  The motor that drives the chain wouldn't engage, either in response to the remote button pushes (changed the batteries to new ones and still no dice) as well as the buttons on the unit itself that are supposed to move the door up and down.  Didn't notice any hum or smell of burning.

Took the unit down and put it on the bench and opened it up.  I had thought that perhaps after sitting all this time, the charge capacitor would be the culprit, but it isn't bulging or leaking, and everything else looks pristine, although there was a very, very (very) faint burnt aroma from the motor.

Would a motor that sits for 22 years somehow electrically "seize" and burn up when first applying power?  I was able to manually grab the shaft and turn the motor, and it rotated the sprocket.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Thom
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

garage - Old garage door opener question Empty Re: Old garage door opener question

Post  GDZone Mon May 11, 2020 12:39 am

Could be an issue with the logic board. Do you see any burn marks on the circuits?

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:04 pm