Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» LED flashing on wall control, not in lock mode
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyToday at 9:01 am by Mkhoury

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

» How to Open Garage Door Manually from Inside and Outside
Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 5:45 am by melanie

Counter

2 posters

Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum

koltsnation

Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum Empty Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum

Post  koltsnation Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:22 pm

Hello,

New here.  This is my first post, as I have run in to some difficulty in repairing my garage door.

First Problem
    My garage torsion spring broke, and I decided to replace both springs.
    The original torsion spring size 234 x 1.75 x 30.    I ordered the replacement exactly as needed but I received 
    243 x 2 x 32. 

In hopes of making adjustments to winding the larger spring, I wound the springs 25 times.
    It worked great for a few days without any issues.

Second Problem
    Today,  one of the cables came off of the drum.   I managed to get the garage door in the down position
    and while I was releasing the cable tension on the other drum, the entire torsion spring unwound.   

How or why is the torsion spring unwinding when the cable drums are loosened?  

When the door is manually raised the cables appear to slack as the door reaches the horizontal position
    It appears the springs need to be wound a bit more.  

However, I don't want to attempt winding the springs if I can't resolve why the springs are unwinding.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Mahalo,

the springs and
    ZMichaelS

Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum Empty Re: Torsion Spring unwinds when cables are released from drum

Post  ZMichaelS Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:27 am

I'm also new here... 

#1 Your springs are OK - same IPPT as old just longer cycle life (16K)

#2 Start with 7 complete turns (28 quarter turns) if 7-0 door, 8 / 32 if 8-0 door

Set LSLO cable drum first then right - wind springs - check balance

Just so you know cables are "holding" spring tension...that is why springs unwound when you released set screw on drum 

Be careful - take your time

Have a blessed weekend

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:44 pm