Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» How to edit your birthday on Facebook?
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyToday at 6:05 am by Allinsider

» Clinical Trials Poland
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 9:25 am by Altrio

» Is Impotence a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyTue Apr 30, 2024 3:12 am by ameliajames

» Old Genie BlueMax resistance adjustment sensor
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm by Bob52

» QR code menu
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm by lefeni

» KDE's great video edito
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 pm by lefeni

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm by lefeni

» How to Open Garage Door Manually from Inside and Outside
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 5:45 am by melanie

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

Counter

2 posters

Cable pulled from one side. Need advice on idea for re-attaching.

bille7

Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. Empty Cable pulled from one side. Need advice on idea for re-attaching.

Post  bille7 Tue May 03, 2022 9:07 am

So there are (2) 10-foot high manually operated heavy doors.   I should've looked closer at them after moving in to the place.  They're the over-door spring/torque tube type.
    Apparently one of the cables had broken at loop connection at the bottom left side of one of the doors and was rigged by trapping the end of the cable under a couple of the 
    bolt heads and washers that fasten that bottom bracket. It eventually pulled out, luckily as I was just beginning to lift the door, and that side of the door immediately sagged while the
    other side was lifting, so it cocked to one side enuf to jam itself in the track, which turned out to be a lucky thing. The strange thing was that, in order to close the door, it had
    to be pulled down with a come-along, and I luckily managed to center it between the tracks.  I picked up cable crimps at the hdwr store and crimped a new loop at the end of the 
    cable then placed it over the stud at the bottom of the door then rewound the top pulley enuf to make the cable semi-tight.  Then I loosened the set screws on the spring tensioner,
    thinking i'd just rewind it and be good to go.  The problem was that there was too much tension on the spring to get more than (2) quarter turns .  I called a friend who is only slightly 
    smaller than The Hulk and asked him to give it a try.  He was able to get thru another 2 quarter turns- AND the cable is no tighter than it was when I re-attached it.  Am wondering if some 
    of the spring coils aren't seized together but they don't appear to be. I sprayed some lube on them (a week ago now) just in case. Maybe I don't understand how it works and have to 
    release the other side spring?   Also, was wondering WHAT IFF: I raise the door (some car jacks and come-along should do it) I can use clamps and vise grips on the track, every foot
    or so, in case of a slip. With the door in the full open position, can rewind the pulley and make both cables have pretty close to the same tension. Then- just close the door and let IT 
    re-wind the spring?

thanks in advance!
    Alpha Door Service

Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. Empty Re: Cable pulled from one side. Need advice on idea for re-attaching.

Post  Alpha Door Service Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:49 pm

It sounds like you need a professional, it'll be much safer and cheaper than an ER visit.
    bille7

Cable pulled from one side.    Need advice on idea for re-attaching. Empty Re: Cable pulled from one side. Need advice on idea for re-attaching.

Post  bille7 Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:41 am

>t sounds like you need a professional, it'll be much safer and cheaper than an ER visit.

Thanks for the reply, Alpha.  It's the first and only reply since I posted the question over a month ago.  Since then, I saw a youtube clip of someone with the same problem ( title was 'garage door cable off | EASY Fix' ) who fixed it in the way that I was thinking about, so decided to try it.  It worked! A little more laborious on my door since it's a little taller and heavier than the door in the clip AND mine had to be pushed into the "up" position (not easy but eventually got there) .  After getting the door open, the rest went fairly quickly.  I used 2 sets of vise grips clamped in each track as I put the door down slowly for the first time, moving them down a couple feet at a time, just in case something went wrong. All in all, it went ok. 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:29 pm