Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Permitting of Used Raynor Door

stevick

raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door Empty Permitting of Used Raynor Door

Post  stevick Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 pm

I am a homeowner who could really use the benefit of your advice and/or experience.  I am planning a low-budget garage addition to my Sarasota, FL home.  Perhaps foolishly, I jumped on a deal to buy a nice used 18' x 7' Raynor Classic garage door (Model P-1322, with 5 center stiles and Colonial glass) for use on the project.  The door is wind rated and Florida DBPR approved (#FL1652), but under the 2001 building code only.  Local building officials tell me that product approval under the current 2017 code is generally required for permitting the installation.  Raynor discontinued the model and stopped selling it 2 or more years ago, did not get more a recent approval, and cannot offer any additional assistance.  I located the Wind Load Spec. Sheet, which shows this door tested per ATSM E-330(2002)/DASMA 108(2003) at Design: +/-21.3 PSF, Test: +/-32.0 PSF.  Per the 2017 code, the applicable requirements would be +20.4/-22.7 PSF [tested per ATSM E-330(2014)/DASMA 108(2012)], as I am in a 150 mph wind zone with a mean roof height of 30' or less and a B exposure (my best guess, as I am on a heavily wooded 1 acre lot in a subdivision of homes).  I am unable to confirm it, but believe the revised testing standards would not have affected the testing results.  I am hoping to make the case to local officials to use their discretion to permit my installation (by a licensed professional) notwithstanding the lack of a current DPBR product approval.

Am I wrong in assuming that I have a good case to make here?  The cost of a new garage door, when added to the other construction costs will blow my very modest budget, so I really hope to use the one I bought.  Can anyone offer any advice or tips on how I might be able to get this through?  Any help or advice would be welcome.  Thanks in advance...
    hughesgaragedoorsystems

raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door Empty Re: Permitting of Used Raynor Door

Post  hughesgaragedoorsystems Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:43 pm

I suggest struts on each section/panel and insulation polystyrene or polyurethane. Wooded areas shouldn't have the same ratios. I would also suggest contact raynor. Get verified proof from them to submit to the proper department in charge of regulating such matters
    stevick

raynor - Permitting of Used Raynor Door Empty Re: Permitting of Used Raynor Door

Post  stevick Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm

hughesgaragedoorsystems wrote:I suggest struts on each section/panel and insulation polystyrene or polyurethane. Wooded areas shouldn't have the same ratios. I would also suggest contact raynor. Get verified proof from them to submit to the proper department in charge of regulating such matters

I am about as far from an expert on such matters as one can be, but I do have the spec sheet that was submitted by Raynor to get the initial approval (under the 2001 code).  Here is the wing load spec sheet from the Florida product approval site: Approval Spec Sheet for P-1322   Raynor basically said they can provide nothing more.  The problem is with the insufferably rigid building officials who insist that the approval be under the 2017 code (and testing standards).  I hope to make the case that despite the lack of approval under the most recent code, it should be permitted for installation because it would nevertheless meet the more current requirements with the testing data shown.  I was looking for validation that I have a good argument to make (i.e., I'm not missing something that will get me shot down).

As for the wooded vs. open area issue, that determines whether the exposure is B, C, or D (B being for homes with trees/structures nearby that presumably form a partial shield from the heaviest winds).  The exposure classification, in turn, determines the the wind load resistance required in the particular wind zone.  I'm fairly convinced I would be considered a B exposure.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am