Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
Craftsman unit not responding to remote EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

Craftsman unit not responding to remote

valhalla3

Craftsman unit not responding to remote Empty Craftsman unit not responding to remote

Post  valhalla3 Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:23 pm

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp opener that has worked for like 25 years. Recently the remote was not opening the door. I assumed the battery was dead as it had been in the remote for probably close to 10 years. I tired using my spare remote and it did not work either. This model does not have a reset method as it uses dip switches. I checked the dip switch settings on the opener unit and both remotes and they are all matching. I found the switch on the circuit board on the spare remote to be a little sticky, so I worked it back and forth by hand a few times and then it worked. But the next time I came home it was not working. I got a new battery for the original remote which I had been using all along and it was still not working even standing right inside the garage next to the opener or holding the remote right next to the antenna.

I had recently set up and old Sansui reciever in my living room and thought maybe that was causing some interference. With that off it still did not work. So I gave up for the time, but just the other night when I came home, just for the hell of it, I tried using the original remote sitting in the glove compartment and it worked. It has worked a couple of times now. My hunch even before this, was that the circuit board on the opener unit might be bad or have a crack that created an open circuit somewhere in one of the traces. The fact that it started working for no apparent reason now confirms my hunch that is the circuit board because it has gotten colder now and I am reasoning that the colder temps might cause enough contraction in the circuit board that any small crack in a trace might pull together enough to complete the circuit and work.

Does this make sense to everyone reading this? I'm assuming you can replace this circuit board easily and hopefully for not some ridiculous price gouged price. I guess I could get lucky too and find the trace that is causing the problem and just re-solder it. I might also try holding the remote button on when it is not working and warp the circuit board back and forth to see if it comes back on.

Please respond for help and discussion.....

Thanks!

VH

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 am