Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyYesterday at 10:45 am by dct@cox.net

» Craftsman Opener having issues
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyYesterday at 7:30 am by Koby_BEZ

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 4:59 am by jonemartin

» MOTTIFY EU
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close

lothian

Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   Empty Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close

Post  lothian Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:46 pm

For some reason, the Liftmaster,Chamberlain,Craftsman Openers sub-forum is locked, so I post my dilemma here.

Our stalwart Liftmaster 3110 worm-drive GDO stopped raising the door. Upon activation, the thing clicks, the motor hums for half a second, then cuts off after another click; the diagnostic LED flashes five times. 

The consensus within this forum and others recommend replacing the 48uF motor cap as the first t'shooting step. I ordered a replacement 30B0533 cap from Liftmaster and swapped it in with zero effect. Additionally...
    1) I tested for motor bind by disconnecting the coupler with zero effect.
    2) I disconnected the drive belt between the motor shaft and the worm drive with zero effect.
    3) I checked for voltage at the conductors to the motor--there's juice when the activated, suggesting that the mainboard and power supply board both work.
    4) I rocked the motor shaft back and forth with a pair of channel locks, suggesting that the motor isn't seized. Two items strike me as significant: The motor is rather stiff when I turn it; and I can feel the motor attempt to twist against the channel locks when I activate it.
    5) I contacted Liftmaster support and related each of the preceding items. They were stumped. (They also couldn't provide me a part number for the motor or send me a replacement.)

My current theory is the motor is simply gunked up with years of garage dust. I plan to remove the thing and blast it with some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. If that doesn't work and the motor twist is still stiff, I may attempt to swap out the bearings.

Otherwise, I'm stumped. 
    Suggestions? Recommendations?
    lothian

Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close   Empty Re: Liftmaster 3110 -- T'shooting GDO No Open-Close

Post  lothian Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:59 pm

HEALED!

As I suspected, the problem was a gunked-up motor shaft. 

I pulled the drive unit from the ceiling mounting frame and removed the motor assembly at my bench. After wiping away all accumulated detritus on and around the motor shaft, I sprayed WD-40 at every accessible bearing point. A few wiggles with the channel locks and the shaft spun freely between my fingers--as it should have in the first place! I cleaned the exposed shaft thoroughly with some CRC solvent, then lubed every accessible bearing point with Blaster Dry Lube

If you are t'shooting a motor hum issue AND you've performed the usual recommended whatnots without remedy... FIRST: Isolate the motor! 

Either disconnect the coupler or the drive belt, then activate the GDO. If the motor turns, t'shoot the drive assembly doodads. If the motor hums, try to manually spin the motor shaft with your fingers--you should be able to. If the motor shaft doesn't budge, remove the GDO unit from its mounting frame and take it to your bench. 

Remove the motor from its housing (four fasteners), grab a can of WD-40 and a clean rag, and start blasting every accessible bearing point along the motor shaft. Tilt the motor to allow gravity to help flow the WD-40 into the nooks and crannies, and use a pair of channel locks to wiggle the motor shaft back and forth. Keep at it until you free the motor shaft and it spins freely in your fingertips. Clean the shaft thoroughly, then apply Dry Lube to every accessible bearing point.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 pm