Garage Door Zone

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Garage Door Zone

Questions & discussions of garage door operator problems and solutions.

Latest topics

» Sell My House Fast Phoenix
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyYesterday at 4:59 am by jonemartin

» Install Overhead Door Company garage door
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 2:22 pm by dct@cox.net

» MOTTIFY EU
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 am by mottify

» Where is best place to buy torsion shafts locally?
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 am by Rob Ryan

» Sears Door Sensors Won't Align
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 5:19 am by cr-garagedoor

» Garage door spring repair
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:38 am by garage door

» Where is the microphone in iPhone 11?
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 am by techzeel

» Craftsman Opener having issues
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 10:04 am by jonemartin

» How to Side Swipe On Instagram?
sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 5:55 am by Allinsider

Counter

2 posters

Safety Sensor Problem and Solution

pcarmour

sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution Empty Safety Sensor Problem and Solution

Post  pcarmour Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 am

Hi,
    I have a Chamberlain 5000UK door opener which I have had for around 15 years.
    It has two sets of beam sensors that have both worked well all this time but now it has developed the following problem.
    All four sensors red LED's are on and they flash if I break either beam.
    There is an error code of five flashes, after turning the power off for 10 seconds this resets OK.
    If I break either beam and then try to close the door it starts to move but then stops immediately and I get 10 clicks and no error code, so OK here.
    If I start the door closing and I then break either beam the door hesitates for one second before continuing to close and I get the 10 clicks and the error code of five flashes has returned.
    I have tried with just one beam connected but the unit behaves the same.
    The 5000MLUK was originally specified to use just one pair of “ fail safe “ type sensor beams, type 770EML but my unit has worked OK with two for years.

sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution 0?ui=2&ik=fd420aa4da&attid=0

[ltr]I have one beam across the doors opening and a second beam on the leading edge of the door.
    The wiring is all parallel with four solid white connected to screw 2 and the four white+black to screw 3. I have been over all connections which appear good. The coiled flexible cable on the doors hinge is also sound.
    My two remote controls and a wall keypad all function correctly.

Here are some pictures of my beam setup.
    sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution Lower_11
    sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution Leadin10
    sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution Lower_10
    [/ltr]

[size=13][size=15]The 5 x flash means the RPM sensor has been triggered in the first second the motor moves. This sensor, inside the opener, monitors the motor as it spins to ensure it travels at the correct speed and force.

When the RPM is activated you would expect to see the door move only 5 – 6 inches and stop and reverse 5 – 6 inches. With my fault I doubt it's a true RPM fault.
    sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution 0?ui=2&ik=fd420aa4da&attid=0

I managed to buy a used 2000ML on eBay for £10 which has the same Logic Board.
    After testing the unit, which reversed the door as it should,  I then swapped the Logic boards but very disappointingly no change in the problem.
    Strangely, in my testing I did discover that the door would return when either beam was broken as the door was closing and near the ground but still wouldn't reverse at higher points.
    I then swapped the RPM boards, again no change in the problem.
    I then swapped the large 12.5uf capacitor and bingo all now working correctly  Smile

I hope this helps anyone who ever find they have a similar problem.
    Regards,
    Peter A

[/size]
    [/size]
    GDZone
    GDZone
    Admin

sensor - Safety Sensor Problem and Solution Empty Re: Safety Sensor Problem and Solution

Post  GDZone Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 am

I've never seen anyone do that with two sets of sensors. Good work! cheers

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 am